What size chest freezer for a fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp1316

Reaction score
Right now I have a 6 gallon better bottle, 6.5 gallon glass carboy, 5 gallon glass carboy(2 of them), and a 7 gallon bucket that came with my kit originally. So if I wanted to get 2 more primary's, either the better bottle or the 6.5 glass, what size(cu ft) chest freezer should I be looking at getting?

If anyone knows the width of any/all of those would you please post that as well. thanks

I have a 15 cu. ft. chest freezer I'm using, and it will hold 3 six gallon better bottles and probably 2 - 3 five gallon better bottles (I only have one in there currently). You'd be hard pressed to fit more than that in there without some modification (hump-related).

Hope this helps.

Deacon

hmm...I was hoping that large of freezer would be able to fit more. I guess I will just have to stick with my current method for now - a room with a window unit always set to 66F.

I have a 15 CF from Lowes and it will hold four 6 gallon and 1 5 gallon carboy all at the same time. If you go to the store, grab some 5 gallon lids from the paint section. That will give you a rough indicator of how many 6 gallon carboys you can fit.

I don't know why I thought I would be able to fit a lot more then that into that size(15cu ft) freezer. Maybe I will just buy a small chest freezer for lagering and keep using my spare room for ales. How long do you think a window ac unit can run 24/7 before breaking?

could a keg work as a primary?

yep
just gotta rig an airlock onto the gas out post somehow.

i've also seen converted corny lids with an airlock grommet setup on it where the safety valve would be.

Back