Planting Crowns in Fall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allynlyon

Reaction score
After my first year of hops growing I am already looking forward to next year. One thing I was unsure of is if planting crowns or the plants you can buy now in the fall is a good idea. I didn't know if they worked like bulbs and would have no real issue or if hops didn't fair well with this sort of planting. Anyone have any experience doing a fall planting with crowns or established plants? Specifically I was looking at Great Lakes out of Michigan's site. Thank in advance.

I think it was Great Lakes Hops recwntly put up a post on facebook saying that planting in the fall is a better idea than planting in the spring. I'll see if i can dig up the post.

Heres the text from one of the posts concerning fall planting:

The next 4 weeks of September is the prime time to Fall plant hopyards. Fall planted hops can outperform those planted in the Spring and first season yields can be impressive. Check out Arrowhead Hops photos in our timeline as an great example. Their first season hop yard resembles other established hop yards that are 2 to 3 years old. Fall planting works!

If you're on facebook, check them out. The comments on that post also contains some information on feeding and how long before first frost is better to plant.

Since about 10 years ago, if I have to move a crown, it's done in the Fall. Once moved, it will begin establishing roots and continue until the soil freezes. The next year it'll take off like nothing ever happened. Most planting is done in the Spring because that's when the growers are thinning out their yards and rhizomes are available. Have at it!

Heres the text from one of the posts concerning fall planting:

If you're on facebook, check them out. The comments on that post also contains some information on feeding and how long before first frost is better to plant.

Perfect. Thank you for the information.

Since about 10 years ago, if I have to move a crown, it's done in the Fall. Once moved, it will begin establishing roots and continue until the soil freezes. The next year it'll take off like nothing ever happened. Most planting is done in the Spring because that's when the growers are thinning out their yards and rhizomes are available. Have at it!

This is great to know. Thanks for the information.

I used to work at a garden center and it was always funny because we were flooded in the spring with people buying stuff to plant and dead in the fall.

The people in the know plant mostly in the fall, it's better for the plants health for a lot of reasons. Also, all the garden centers are trying to sell stock so they keep less over the winter so the prices are always way better.

I digress...plant away OP.

The people in the know plant mostly in the fall, it's better for the plants health for a lot of reasons. Also, all the garden centers are trying to sell stock so they keep less over the winter so the prices are always way better.

I digress...plant away OP.

Come to think of it when we moved into our current home it was late summer and early fall before I got around to landscaping. I got some amazing deals at our local plant center. I was worried that the plants might not all take but everything but 1 little plant did well and came back wonderfully the next year. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

Back