Thoughts on this Chocolate Coffee Sweet Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneralTao

Reaction score
I'd like your collective critic on this recipe.

Fermentables
7 lb Pale 2-Row
2 lb Caramel / Crystal 80L
1.5 lb American Chocolate
1 lb Munich - 60L
0.5 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Molasses

Hops
1 oz Fuggles 60 min 4.5%
1 oz East Kent Goldings 30 min 5%

Additions
5 oz Lactose 15 min
4 qt Cold Brewed Coffee @ Bottling
6 oz Chocolate Nibs @ Secondary

White Labs - English Ale Yeast WLP002

Est OG: 1.06
Est FG: 1.019
Est ABV: 5.37%
IBU: 26.94
SRM: 40
Primary fermentation for 7 days.
Add Chocolate Nibs at secondary.
Secondary Fermentation for 14 days.
Add cold brewed coffee at kegging.

Thoughts? Critics? Should I change something?

- i would considering adding some oats to the mash, if only for mouthfeel.
- 4 quarts of coffee seems like a lot in terms total volume (i.e. you might be diluting the beer to much), but you say nothing of how strong the coffee will be. how many ounces of beans/grounds are you adding? check out https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/founders-breakfast-stout-clone-139078/ for some ideas - for that recipe, it's 2 oz at the end of boil and 2 oz cold-steeped at bottling.
- i would recommend soaking the nibs in vodka for a few days before pitching them into secondary (throw in the vodka too). it'll disinfect the nibs and help extract the flavor from them.
- seems high on the crystal, i'd cut it in half

I agree with sweetcell on the crystal. That's a lot. As far as the oats go, you'll get some good mouth feel from the lactose, and could mash at around 154*, although that will effect your FG. If you do add oats, go for 1 lb. After you add the nibs, you'll want to taste it regularly to determine when it has the intensity you want. You ought to get some good chocolate flavor from the chocolate malt, so you don't want to risk overdoing it. I have a stout that's very similar to this one in the primary right now. I forgot to pick up oats from the store, so I just increased my mash temp to get the mouth feel I wanted. I tasted it yesterday, and it already has a pretty good chocolate flavor, so I'll probably be doing 4oz of nibs and tasting it at least once a week.

Thanks for the feedback! I cut back the crystal to 1lbs, added 1lbs of rolled oats. I scaled back on the coffee fine ground to 2oz at flame out and then 2oz cold brewed coffee at bottling.

Back