Stout finishing fast and ready to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
I'm not a total newb to brewing (3+ years), I'm never surprised how fast from grain to glass on a low gravity APA, but a moderate gravity cream stout? 7 days from 1.062 to 1.018 and steady. It's been 10 days overall and I wouldn't be afraid to keg/carb/compete this beer right now! S-04 at 60 for 4 days and the Krausen fell. Gravity samples on days 7,8,&9. I'm just surprised. Anyone ever have this happen?

I'm not surprised that if finished fermenting, but usually it still taste green at only ten days in. I think what I'm so surprised about is that it taste as good as a beer that is been in primary for 3-4 weeks

Acetaldehyde is not as easy to detect behind roasted malts... the beer's undoubtedly still young and you should definitely let it sit for your normal 3-4 weeks still. It's just not that unheard of for a fermentation to be finished and somewhat clean after a week.

Back