Importing rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsyPaul

Reaction score
Just an FYI for any Canadians thinking of importing rhizomes, please be aware that it is technically legal, you just need to have the proper paperwork from the seller.

Most sellers won't export to Canada, but if you do like I do, and ship things to the UPS store on the border and pick it up... just make sure you can get the Phytosanitary Certificate with your rhizome.

There are a lot of Canadian growers, from what I understand, but some strains are only available from the US :S

Speaking from experience, you don't want to deal with trying to import food on the blacklist. I had to toss out 50lbs of blueberries, one year :(

CFIA said:
Importer / Broker Instructions
DOCUMENTATION INSTRUCTIONS
PHYTOSANITARY CERTIFICATE
- Obtain from Country of Export prior to importation.
CONDITIONS OF IMPORT
The Phytosanitary Certificate must accompany the shipment.
The material must be free of all growing media, soil and/or related matter.
The material must be certified free from Soybean Cyst Nematode (HETERODERA GLYCINES).
1)The material must have the following declaration on the Phytosanitary Certificate:
"Material was grown in a county or area of a county that has been sampled and found to be free of the soybean cyst nematode (HETERODERA GLYCINES) based on negative results of an official survey."
May be subject to Environment Canada's requirements.

This is exactly what i was planning to do, to get my hands on some specific strains. But i wasent sure what paper work was involved.

Thanks!

Do all growers can supply the Phytosanitary Certificate ?
Can you recomand some that you have worked with in the past ?

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back