Little Giant 3-MDQ-SC Aquarium Pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJWP

Reaction score
Anyone use or have any thoughts on this pump:

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/...-Inline-Aquarium-Pump-(581506)/57424/Cat/1248

Is this basically the same thing as the other Little Giant 3MD models, or is it different because it is the "aquarium pump" version?

I know that the SC models are only rated to 150F - that is ok because I'm only planning on using this for mash and sparge (maybe up to 180F, but from what I've read that should not be a problem). and for moving chilled wort. maybe some CIP applications.

I've got a line on this pump new for $40 - should I pull the trigger?

I have a md-2-sc I use for mash and sparge, it will cavate above 175f or so
I have a md-3 sc onder my sink to recirc cleaning water that pumps 165deg water with no problems.
the Q models have higher flow rating I think, but I see no problems using them under 175f

@JJWP, I'm about to pull the trigger on this pump as well. Have you had any issues with it in the past couple years?

Have you pushed into using it for boiling wort at all? I was look at using this pump to create a hands free constant whirlpool in my BK. It's definitely not a necessity and I will still use this pump for sparge/wort cooling; but I would like to know if you've got any "lessons learned?"

I have the MD-HC and love it. Boiling water is no issue. And if you are going to be pumping cleaning chemicals, why not go for the HC model rated for corrosive materials?

Back