I am planning a new batch of cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_in_wv

Reaction score
This one I want to make for my wife. She really likes apple pie (The real thing). She doesn't like fresh cider because of how sweet it is.

I was wanting to finish this cider where the sweetness is about 1/2 half what a fresh cider is.

Any ideas what SG should I shoot for in my finished cider?

I am using Lalvin EC-1118, or Red Star Pasteur Champagn yeast.

Also, would you add the apple pie spices to the primary or secondary?

I wouldn't go for spice, but would try to get McIntosh juice. I always found macs to have a really sterotypical apple pie taste to them when made into juice or cider.

McIntosh Apples are good for pie and applebutter. Another good one for pie and cider is Staymens Winesap. My Staymens did OK this year but the McIntosh failed.

Both those yeasts will take your cider dry, if you're looking for residual sweetness you'll have to backsweeten with nonfermentable sweeteners. An ale yeast will actually give you more apple flavour than a wine yeast & will leave it a wee bit sweeter.

If you decide to use spices, use whole/cracked/sliced spices instead of powdered, they're easier to work with, make less of a mess & can be removed when the desired level(s) of spice flavour has been reached. Regards, GF.

Both those yeasts will take your cider dry, if you're looking for residual sweetness you'll have to backsweeten with nonfermentable sweeteners. An ale yeast will actually give you more apple flavour than a wine yeast & will leave it a wee bit sweeter.

If you decide to use spices, use whole/cracked/sliced spices instead of powdered, they're easier to work with, make less of a mess & can be removed when the desired level(s) of spice flavour has been reached. Regards, GF.

All my spices are whole except for one. I had thought I would put them in a fresh empty teabag and suspend them in the cider. What do you think?

Would you put them in the primary or secondary?

I will order some ale yeast.
thanks for the help

Back