New BC 16 gal pot and propane stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benfinkel

Reaction score
Hello All!

My beer-brewing was only just getting started when I started having kids and thinking that boiling on top of my kitchen stove was not gonna work. I paused for a couple of years, but then for my b-day my (particularly awesome) wife got me a Bayou Classic propane stove and 16 gal stainless steel pot!

Needless to say, I'm now ready to brew again :) I had only made a half-dozen brews before I stopped, one kit and the others partial grains.

I think I'd like to make an American Pale Ale. Partial grain, but nothing too fancy. My time/brain capacity is limited (especially with the new baby and lack of sleep). I've also not thought about doing a 10 gal batch before but since the pot is so big I think I should.

Can anyone point me towards some good APA recipes, with decent ratios that I can scale up to a 10 gal batch? Should I plan on a 12 gal boil due to evaporation? How do I get 10 gallons of hot wort up on a counter so I can drain into the fermenter buckets?

Any other tips for someone making their first move out of the kitchen and into the driveway?

Thanks!

Back