aerating yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vera

Reaction score
I don't have a stirplate. Would it make a difference to constantly aerate my yeast starter with an aquarium pump that has a sterilized filter, and an air stone? Has anyone tried this before? Any thoughts as to why it would or wouldn't work? I would imagine that this technique would help keep the yeast in suspension while introducing oxygen.

I think it would work great. Just keep an eye on sanitation, and it should be fine. I was actually thinking of doing the same thing tonight. I use a stirplate, but I figured I could do constant aeration at the same time..

That is what I use for aerating. I have a stainless stone that I got from the LHBS and boil it before each use. I just don't trust anything other than heat for sanitizing those miniscule pores.

In my experience the starters will foam up after a couple hours with the pump going. Once the foam gets up to the top of my flask I stop pumping and then just shake it periodically for the rest of the time my starter is going. So I guess its a hybrid of "intermittent shaking" and "continuous aeration" on Mr Malty.

I use my Mr Beer for starters and just shake it whenever I think of it. I guess a stir plate or other continuous system works better, but it isn't equipment that I desire to own. There's enough other stuff.

zacster said:
I use my Mr Beer for starters and just shake it whenever I think of it. I guess a stir plate or other continuous system works better, but it isn't equipment that I desire to own. There's enough other stuff.

Are you saying that you put your starter in a big bucket?

Back