How Does Barq's Get that awesome Bite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xokeman

Reaction score
I am new the the soda world but I am trying to clone the bite from Barq's. I have searched High and even LOW for the clone for this soda or to the reason it has sooo much bite and so little sugar. I have no idea. any help is apreciated!

barq's has a stronger wintergreen flavor than other root beers, i'm guessing that's where the bite comes from... try adding extra wintergreen oil to your recipe.

I have added caffeine to my rootbeer. I will look into the winter green. That is i must purchase some

Barq's bite comes from Anise, and possibly a little nutmeg. I would actually say that barq's has the least amount of wintergreen of the major brand sodas(if it has any)-Mug is really heavy on the Wintergreen.
You should check out Virgil's root beer. It's a bit expensive(about $5/4 pk. of 12 oz.), but my favorite root beer. To me it's akin to a well-crafted, gourmet Barq's-like the difference between a $5 bottle of wine and a fine, aged wine.

You're welcome. I've been making/experimenting with homemade soda off and on for the last few years. I'm making a cream soda with my girls(whom are 3 and 5) tonight, and getting ready to make a trip downtown in search of ingredients for my first attempt at my own root beer recipe.

Barq's bite comes from Anise, and possibly a little nutmeg. I would actually say that barq's has the least amount of wintergreen of the major brand sodas(if it has any)-Mug is really heavy on the Wintergreen.
You should check out Virgil's root beer. It's a bit expensive(about $5/4 pk. of 12 oz.), but my favorite root beer. To me it's akin to a well-crafted, gourmet Barq's-like the difference between a $5 bottle of wine and a fine, aged wine.

i disagree. anise has a bitter licorice overtone that i don't taste with barq's...... wintergreen has more of a chlorophyl taste that i associate with barq's. i don't taste any chlorophyl in mug, i taste more cinnamon in mug than anything else.

We might have to agree to disagree on this one. I find that anise provides a rich and complex black "licorice" flavor to the drink, and it is very prevalent in Barq's.
Wintergreen provides a very minty flavor-and Mug is overwhelmingly minty. I like it to Pepsodent toothpaste, Wint-o-Green Life Savers, and Winterfresh gum. It provides a cooling sensation(as minty things usually do), and I detect almost none of that in Barq's.
The only other culprit I can think of is possibly Nutmeg. Nutmeg usually provides an aromatic quality to foods it is included in, and somewhat of a "sting" in the mouth like allspice and clove. While it is possible those last two are used as an ingredient in Barq's, if they are present it is very minimal, or washed out by the HFCS...
I'm still going to say it's anise or nutmeg. I'll be brewing my own batch of Root Beer soon here, and I'll be using both wintergreen and anise, maybe even nutmeg. Even so, I want to go make some teas out of anise, wintergreen and nutmeg separately to see what kind of flavors/mouth feels/aromatic qualities each as.

I agree about the winter green it has a totally different flavor. I am including anise in my next brew

We might have to agree to disagree on this one. I find that anise provides a rich and complex black "licorice" flavor to the drink, and it is very prevalent in Barq's.
Wintergreen provides a very minty flavor-and Mug is overwhelmingly minty. I like it to Pepsodent toothpaste, Wint-o-Green Life Savers, and Winterfresh gum. It provides a cooling sensation(as minty things usually do), and I detect almost none of that in Barq's.
The only other culprit I can think of is possibly Nutmeg. Nutmeg usually provides an aromatic quality to foods it is included in, and somewhat of a "sting" in the mouth like allspice and clove. While it is possible those last two are used as an ingredient in Barq's, if they are present it is very minimal, or washed out by the HFCS...
I'm still going to say it's anise or nutmeg. I'll be brewing my own batch of Root Beer soon here, and I'll be using both wintergreen and anise, maybe even nutmeg. Even so, I want to go make some teas out of anise, wintergreen and nutmeg separately to see what kind of flavors/mouth feels/aromatic qualities each as.

I’d say the best root beer I’ve ever tasted is from guido’s pizzeria in Ravenna OH they make their own and it’s totally sublime!

I am new the the soda world but I am trying to clone the bite from Barq's. I have searched High and even LOW for the clone for this soda or to the reason it has sooo much bite and so little sugar. I have no idea. any help is apreciated!

The flavor you're looking for is actually sarsaparilla but you must also ensure you add caffeine. The combo is what really gives it the bite. Happy soda making!

I would be interested in your recipe if you would be willing to share? I have been wanting to make a root beer (never made soda before) for a few years but I have never gotten around to it.

Latest posts

Back