How long to keep raspberries in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redraider77

Reaction score
I have a NB American Wheat going right now that I racked to the secondary a week ago with about 3 lbs of frozen raspberries. I’m reading a lot of different opinions on how long it should stay in the secondary before bottling. Some say a week or two and others say months. Fermentation is done and what’s left of the fruit is colorless and either floating or sunk to the bottom. If all it is doing is aging than wouldn’t it do that in the bottle? Bottom line is that I want to bottle this weekend mostly because it is convenient but can wait longer if I need to. It looks pretty clear right now but I do plan to use a paint strainer on the racking cane. So what do you guys think?

I made a strawberry blonde that I had rave reviews about. It sat in secondary on the fruit for a week. I did purée the fruit tho, so not sure if whole fruit would take longer. Than it sat in the bottle for three weeks before opening. Great flavor. Not over powering at all

Thanks for the response. I heated the frozen berries @ 160 for about 10 minutes to sanitize and they pretty much fell apart before I put them in the secondary. I think most of the juice is used up at this point so I may go ahead and bottle soon. It has a nice fruity aroma and red color. Hope I didn't use too much fruit. From what I've read you don't have to use as much raspberry as you do with other fruit.

According to the cult i belong to, raspberries are only good to 4 days. And mango 5 days. Anything before or after will result in immediate bad beer and shame.

According to the cult i belong to, raspberries are only good to 4 days. And mango 5 days. Anything before or after will result in immediate bad beer and shame.

You're right. I think the only way to save this batch would be to drink it all in three days. :p

Back