a quiestion on aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Right now i have an irish red conditioning and its been 6 days now. I knopw you only need to wait 10 days give or take for adequate carbonation but is letting age longer in my best interest. I know with some styles it is suggested to let it age longer. My main question is it really mroe dependent on the style or is it ideal for all styles?

While it will be carbonated and drinkable after 10 days(many people give it 3 weeks to carb) it will still be very green. The longer you let it age the more the flavors will mellow out and the better the beer will be. This goes for pretty much all styles, some bigger beers even require months of aging. For your beer, give it at least 2 weeks to carb, drink some and put some away Compare what it tastes like know to what it tatstes like 3-4 months down the road, I'm willing to bet you'll be impressed with the difference.

What temp are you storing the bottles?

Don't be surprised if 10 days yields no carbonation. I had batches (back when I bottled) that would go from hopelessly flat at 14 days to perfectly carb'd at 20 days.

My first brew, Irish red, aged for 4 weeks before I was willing to give out samples. It tasted a hell of a lot better than at the 2 week mark. I have stuffed a few into my beer fridge, which have been i there since March 1st. Homebrews just get so much better with age.

Latest posts

Back