Mulled Cider to Hard Mulled Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Gents - I want your opinion on this...

I have this awesome tasting Mullied Cider Recipe. With a little tweaking, I think this would make a good hard cider too. Mainly because of the mulling spices and the use of cranberry juice.

FYI - All cranberry juice is diluted with grape juice.

Mulled Cider Recipe
• 12 Cups of Apple Juice
• 6 Cups of Cranberry Juice
• ½ Cup of Brown Sugar
• 2 Tablespoons of Butter
• 2 Teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
• 1-2 Tablespoons of Penzey’s Mulling Spice
o Blend of Cinnamon, Clove, Allspice, Cardamom & Mace

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysmulledwine.html

Mix all ingredients. Then simmer on low heat 30-45 minutes. The kitchen will smell great! Alternative: Put in Crock Pot for 2 hours on high, set to low & serve​

My questions or things to ponder...

1.) How important is the preservative-free requirement? I normally see asorbic acid as an additive in juices in the grociery store. Would this be a problem? I believe its used as an antioxident. HB for dummies says it can be added to beer at 1/2 tsp at bottling (per 5 gal). It probably has the same purpose here.

2.) The cranberry-grape juice balances the sweetness of the apple juice similiar to hops in beer. Any ideas of how this would ferment out flavorwise? Bitter, neutal
or sweet?

3.) Yeast Suggestions???? Yeast Nutrients ????

Obviously, leave out the butter in this case!!!

What do you think? - Thanks!!!!

FYI - Doing the math, a recipe factor 4.5x = 5 gal. or 2x =2.25gal :mug:

I can't offer much advice because I've never brewed cider, but I'd recommend leaving out the butter. The fats and oils will kill your head formation and retention.

As far as preservatives, I've read that it's recommended to use preservative-free juices when fermenting.

You must avoid any juice with preservitives. Ascorbic acid is fine as it is just vitamin C that is added to preserve the color (keep it from going brown).

I have something similar that has been aging for a couple of months. One thing to be aware of is that the cranberry juice can make it tart even with the grape/apple mixture. I would recommend adding a can of concentrate for each 1 to 2 gallons and then a second after fermentation subsides.

For yeasts, I would recommend either Nottinghams, Wyeasts "Sweet Mead" yeast or Windsor. I have tried about half a dozen yeasts and I am currently experimenting with US-56 (so far so good). Just remember, the secret to great cider is time (i.e. patience). Good luck with this.

PS You might consider saving the Vanilla for secondary. I found that in my early batches it tends to get scrubbed out in primary. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back