Starter issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So Wednesday night I made a 2L starter for my yeast that I planned to use today. It sat on the stir-plate all Thursday and i took it off this morning to stick in the fridge to settle.

Now my problem come up that in about 3 hours I'll need to use this yeast...and I was going to take it out of the refrig and let it get room temp, but it hasn't stopped fermenting even while in the fridge.

I mean the krausen on it has grown and it hasn't really separated.

Should I just pitch the whole thing or should I decant like I normally do and just pitch what did separate...(which looks like a vial's worth, maybe a bit more)?

Oh it was a White Labs Belgian Wit - WLP400.

I've got the same problem with the same yeast and I was going to ask pretty much the same thing except I'm only doing a 1 L starter. I started mine yesterday morning and it took right off and never turned back.By last night it was coming out the top of the flask.The magnet moved off center last night so most of it settled but I swirled it and re centered the magnet and it took off again. I was going to brew Sunday so my question was should I turn off the stir plate and let settle before I put it in the fridge tomorrow night or just keep it on til tomorrow night then refrigerate and see what happens.I'm definitely using a blow off tube on this batch.

If you decant you're going to pour off all of the least flocculent, highest attenuating yeasties. Your beer will possibly under-attenuate as a result.

I had this happen when I was new at doing starters, decanted a pretty cloudy top layer but pitched what I thought was a good amount of yeast that had settled. But the beer ended up stalled out at 1.030.

I'm interested in starting my first starter (been just pitching wet or dry yeast - with indifferent results). Can someone recommend a "how-to" book or thread on yeast starters? Specifically, I'd like to know if I can use a "5 gallon" size yeast packet for 10 gallon batches, and do I have to use wort or can I just make a cane or corn sugar solution?

I'm interested in starting my first starter (been just pitching wet or dry yeast - with indifferent results). Can someone recommend a "how-to" book or thread on yeast starters? Specifically, I'd like to know if I can use a "5 gallon" size yeast packet for 10 gallon batches, and do I have to use wort or can I just make a cane or corn sugar solution?

You might try this site: http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.htm

Back