Haste really does make waste....any newbie needs to read this!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
i've bottled two mr beer recipes (tasted none). The first batch (ACL) was put into the 1 litre PET bottles...the second, a week later, was put into 12 oz glass. I was in a bit of a hurry as i wanted my batch bottled so I could drop another batch on the yeast cake. After sanitizing my bottles and hanging them upside down in the dishwasher as I had a bottle at the valve of the LBK, I realized that I didn't sanitize the dishwasher spike that was inside my bottles. So, I rewashed all 22 bottles; had supper in the oven and trying to make a new batch....hectic to say the least. ANYWAY, just before priming the bottles I remembered that I added two and a half tsp to each bottle...off I went. FORTUNATELY, i got my registration free gift today (a priming magnet) I glanced at it and immediately recalled my mistake. In a slight state of panic, I referred to the forum and a quick search brought me to uncapping and re-fermenting my beer. I got heavy duty gloves, towel, safety glasses, can opener, needle and balloons and went to uncapping. SLOWLY!! I let pressure out of each bottle, capped it with a balloon and poked a hole in it (this took about an hour for 22 bottles). I lost a total of about 1/2 beer (Thank goodness) and learned some things---- 1.) my capping is fine. 2.) This WON"T happen again 3.) The cheap table sugar I used really does work 4.) DO NOT RUSH BEER MAKING!

104832543@N02

12 0z bottles...abbey dubbel...2 and 1/2 tsp sugar instead of 3/4 tsp...how long to referment?

Back