Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistr25

Reaction score
So, I'm trying to do this beer before Thanksgiving, I know I'll be close, but I'm going for it anyway. After reviewing the recipe I made my order, only to realize that it calls for DME, instead of LME. So, I'm technically about 1.5lbs shy of what I need DME wise. I figure I may as well by 2 pounds and just go ahead and use all of it. This will bump my ABV up to around 7%. I'm going to use Wyeast 1318 too for the yeast.

My question is, should I adjust the pumpkin or spices amount to counter balance the additional ABVs? Will they mute the taste?

Thanks

No. 0.5 lbs of extra DME is not going to make enough of a difference in the overall beer to make you adjust the spices.

The spices are a personal thing anyways, start with 1/2 tsp then go from there...also know that the spices do get more pronounced, atleast they did for me over time. Upon tasting it initially at room temperature it was like meh this needs more, but the GF said it was fine so i left it...after chilling for a few days and carbed its totally different.

Back