secondary complete? clear striation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigkelker

Reaction score
I have had a big Belgian IPA in secondary for about 6 weeks and the picture shows the separation that has been moving down ever so slowly. Do I need to wait the estimated additional 6+ weeks to rack to keg?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/HoublomonstreTripelIPA.pdf

Assuming the clear separation is yeast, I can't believe that it has taken this long to only go 1/4 the way down the carboy.

Thanks for reading!

ForumRunner_20120722_234127.jpg

If your FG has reached its goal and you have let it sit for so long, I would either cold crash or get some finings to help clear things up before bottle time.

Best of luck! It looks great.

Just taking time for the yeast to settle out. Lowering the temperature will speed it up, but if you have no way of doing that, more time shouldn't do any harm.

Bob

That yeast should have been settled after week 2. Like everyone has said, cold crash. There shouldn't even be that much yeast in secondary. Maybe you transferred to early?

I do think I may have transferred it a little early. It is currently sitting in the refrigerator at about 36 degrees so let the cold crashing begin!

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back