Raisin Juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpbergie

Reaction score
I am exploring using some Rasin Juice Conentrate / Puree in a Blegian beer. Anyone have experience trying something like this? Im trying to figure out approximately how much I would use in a 5 gallon batch. How much sugar might be fermented out.

Here are some details on one i found. Any ideas?

[FONT=&quot]Raisin Juice Concentrate[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Characteristics[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Color: Amber to dark brown
Flavor: Inherent fruity flavor
Viscosity: 260-500 cp at 21ºC (70ºF)
Weight: 1.35 kg/liter (11.25 lbs/gallon) at 70º Brix
Specific gravity: 1.348
pH: 2.0 to 3.5
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Because of its low pH, high sugar and soluble solids content, raisin juice concentrate is self-preserving. It is recommended that it be stored at temperatures between 15º and 21ºC (60º to 70ºF). Extended storage may affect its color and flavor, however, this change is slow.[/FONT]

i havent tried using just Special B to get the rasin flavor. I wanted to use the rasin "juice" in place of Candi Sugar.

Lost and Found uses both Special B and raisins... FWIW, here is their ingredient list. No help on the amount, but I'd start small the first time and work your way up...

Malts- Two Row, Wheat, Medium and Dark English Crystal, Special B and Chocolate
Hops- German Magnum and German Tettnang
Yeast- Proprietary Belgian Ale Strain
Adjunts- Dextrose and Chef Vince’s Raisin Puree.

It would really just be a guess on my part, but I think 1-1.5lb would probably have a noticable impact upon the end product without being overbearing...

I mean, heck, some people use 4-6lb or more of fruit to fruit a beer and sometimes its not very noticable... I think if i personally had to do it, I'd go 1.5lb or so and increase or decrease if necessary in future batches.

Latest posts

Back