How much yeast for 2-3 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
Title says it all...I have never made cider before. I went to my first homebrew club meeting and the theme was mead and cider. I decided to try a cider since My wife doesn't really like beer......BLASPHEMY!!!!

I plan on doing a 2-3 gallon batch with safale-04 yeast. This is the yeast I have floating around.

May as well add all of it. Once you open the packet, the yeast start absorbing water from the air. Wine yeast is much cheaper than beer yeast, by the way.

will the whole packet be overkill? I don't want it to ferment forever...

No. It won't be overkill. Most people use a whole packet for even 1 gallon batches.

The amount of initial yeast will not make it ferment forever. The yeast will still mutliply/reproduce to the same population size (pretty much) So using a larger amount initially will just speed up the yeast's reproduction. And one package of yeast is good for 1-6 gal. usually.

Back