Brewery Construction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
Pics start in post 4!

Our batteries in our camera died, and every time we wwent to the store, we kept forgetting to get some. I just will not have any pics" of the real nasty stuff on the walls/floors under the oil tank and behind/under the stuff next to the oil tank, nor any early ""in progress pics". But there will be some nice Before, In progress, Almost Done, and Done pics!

Our basement is a cinder block basement and is comprised of two spaces; the large portion is living space/family use and is really nice-- not finished, but painted, light, great play area, and also serves as our guest suite (New sleeper sofa, dresser, TV, new armchair).

"My" portion of the basement is partitioned off from the rest of the basement, and lies under what was originally the garage. It must serve as storage and my brewery.

It is about 18 feet long and 9 feet wide. It also has about 12 concrete beams running across the ceiling as bracing... they are huge. Where the beams are located, the clearance is only 70" high. To the main ceiling it is 78" high.

Additionally it houses our heating oil tank which is about 30" wide by 6 feet long, and there is copper piping for our heating, and pvc for our bathroom on the main floor, that runs in this space below the beams, so in some areas the head space is even lower. It also had a canning cupboard that was 8'6" wide, 18" deep, and went from floor to ceiling. So it felt quite "Cramped". It also only has one light bulb right at the entrance to room.

This is going to be my "BREWERY". Long story short, this portion of the basement was SCARY and was not touched in at least 40 years probably.

It has served as storage for us, and for housing all my brew "stuff". The plan has been to refinish, run some electrical, and make it more useable and less "scary". The electrical was going to happen soon, but the more comprehensive renovation of it was more a "down the line" type of thing.

Well our timetable got moved up by mother nature. Short story-- all the rain we've had exposed some major water/moisture issues. So since Thursday when we had a huge rain storm, every night after the kids have gone to bed, Allison (my wife) and I have been working on that space.

So far we have done:

-Empty room
-Removed canning cupboard
-Scraped paint off the walls
-Scarped paint off the floor
-Scrubbed and cleaned walls
-Scrubbed and cleaned floor

What we still have to do before August 10 (when the MIL comes to town-- because the "guest suite" is now acting as a holding area):
-Etch walls and floor to prep for top coatings
-Patch and seal wall/floor seams and lower 18" of wall
-Drylok wall/floor seam and lower 18" of wall
-Paint walls
-Paint Ceiling
-Epoxy Garage coating on floor
-Figure out brewery and storage layout
-Shelving?

To do after the MIL visit-
-Electric
-Hook Up utility sink
-Ventilation
-Hook up the brewery and BREW!

Allison was the one that actually suggested the Epoxy for the floor, and I think that rocks.

She has also officially started referring to it as "my man space" and "the brewery" already! Yesterday or the day before she also said to me, "The next day we have some good light, we should take some pictures of your hops so you can print them up and frame them and have something to hang in your brewery"! :mug: I always knew I picked a keeper!

Sorry for the novel; if I could post pictures, I wouldn't have to! Pics to come soon though, soon...

Wish me luck!

Prost!

Very interested to see your pics and hear about your progress! Best of luck to you!

Good luck. Nice snag on the basement partition! I'm still trying to figure my best angle, be it a second garage bay, a second larger shed, or what....

Here are the pics of what we started with...

The first two pics are looking into the northern end of the room through the entrance...

Then you start with a pic from inside the room looking back towards the entrance-- the northeast corner.

The rest follow in a rough sequence counterclockwise, with the last one from just inside the entrance to the room at the Northern end looking towards the south end of the room

Got some "in progress" pics to come maybe tomorrow?!?

128.JPG

218.JPG

317.JPG

417.JPG

Some "in progress" pics... they are basically in the same order as the ones above, more or less, showing what some early stages of our work.

a.JPG

b.JPG

c.JPG

d1.JPG

Thanks, I sure hope so. It will still have to function as storage too, but I believe we will be able to better utilize the space and floor plan so the brew area doesn't feel too cramped!

Looks like it will make a great space! Get a bunch of shelves and make use of some of those open joists to make some overhead bins and you will be all set!.

Just amazing how much larger that space looks in the second set of pics.

Good luck to you as you continue your work!

Are you going to finish the walls, repaint the block or leave that??

The block walls were patched with mortar in areas that are susceptible to moisture (mainly SW corner floor/wall seam), and then we are in the midst of dryloking and painting the block walls.

We are definitely going to have some sort of shelving solution; we have stored things between the beams in the past, and will do so again when we have this finished.

Thanks for the luck and encouragement. We hope to have all of the dryloking and painting on the walls done tonight.

Then we will move onto laying down the epoxy flooring.

Very nice project, I'll be excited to see the final product.

One question though, where did you get the cases of Köstritzer? I'd love to get some more flip-tops, especially if they come with the plastic German cases. I considered having some friends in Germany mail a few cases to me, but it would be prohibitively expensive (at least $100 per case).

Hey, I'm exhausted just from thinking about all that de-cluttering and cleaning. Looks like you have a great space to build into your dream. Please keep the pictures coming.

Just so you know I'm desperately jealous. My left arm for a basement. BTW, attics work better for storage... Don't want stored stuff to have beer spilled on em do we? :D

One question though, where did you get the cases of Köstritzer? I'd love to get some more flip-tops, especially if they come with the plastic German cases. I considered having some friends in Germany mail a few cases to me, but it would be prohibitively expensive (at least $100 per case).

I met a guy who used to fly commercially that used to bring these home with him, and he had them in his shed! The other green cases of german flip-tops came from a buddy stationed in germany sent AFO or whatever the army mail system is...

Back OT: Thanks for the good wishes; having a basement is definitely nice.

We finished dryloking and should finish the paint tonight or tomorrow night. We have to work after the kids are in bed though, so only get 1-2 hours a night to work.

ATTIC: We have a cape cod, and because of that we only have a SMALL nook; it is a closet in size. So, basement has to serve as storage.

It has been tiring cleaning and decluttering, but we hope to get the epoxy on the floor tomorrow or Friday at the latest.

More pics to come.

Well, had a bit of a setback, and definitely a HUGE unexpected expense.

Our heating oil tank (the big orange tank) had some small leakage-- was diagnosed as possibly due to condensation and leaky connections.

Turns out it is thirty years old and is about to disentegrate on us!!! Just found this out today... to the tune of $1.5k!!! That HURTS!!! Apparently they condense inside the tank from the steel and stuff and that causes rust, and then 30 years ago they installed it too close to the wall which created an even greater atmosphere for it to breed so to speak.

They will be doing the work tomorrow... that is how bad it is. They said "it is not a today thing, but it is a tomorrow thing-- literally. If we had a tank today, we would have to do it today."

Ouch!

Nevertheless here are pics of the room painted. The oil leak has stopped floor work, but tomorrow night I can hopefully get the floor etched, and then get the epoxy flooring applied on Saturday.

Pics (again in roughly the same order- Entrance shot, then starting at NE corner of the room at the entrance and working counterclockwise):

painted_1.JPG

painted_2.JPG

painted_3.JPG

painted_4.JPG

continued in next post...

Looking good, I can't wait to see how this turns out. My step dad and I are bouncing ideas around on how to turn part of my basement into my brewery. :)

RENO IS DONE! Last night finished about midnight applying the last of the gloss coat sealer to the floor!

No pics until next week though as the family left this morning for michigan and took the camera with them!

But, it looks good, and I am glad to be done with that part.

Now it is one to the less tiring stuff... organization.

Once that is done, I can move on to the brewery proper...

Pics and more to come...

CYBER- sweet build man. that's gonna be my next project.
are those kostritzer brew baskets plastic? those are sweet! thats my favorite beer. would you want to sell any of them?

Thanks chainsaw! The epoxy floor really finishes it off... I cannot wait to get pics.

And yes, the kostritzer cases are plastic, direct from Germany (and filled with .5L flip tops and some crown cap .5L kostritzer bottles). :mug:

Brewery Assistants! :mug:

brewery_assistants.JPG

Close up of the finished floor- Epoxy coating, with two coats of gloss sealer top coat
Floor_finished.JPG

New heating oil tank
New_tank_and_space.JPG

This tank was NEEDED in the worst way... we were lucky the old one didn't burst on us while we were working in there, that is how bad it was.

Unfortunately, the tank BUSTED the budget, so the electric work is up in the air...

That is all the pics for now. Now onto the shelving/organizing. The Brew stuff comes last.

Back