So I want to grow barley.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCarnie

Reaction score
I know I won't get the same consistancy and quality as buying it, but I had a lot of satisfaction from from garden this year. So why not? I am also getting goats next season and figured After getting what I need from the the Harvest that they would enjoy the rest. The problem is that all I can find for seeds is feed barley, from what I hear is not the greatest for malting. I would be happy to go the the national seed bank, but can't seem to find it on net. Can anybody point me to where I can find some? I probably would be wanting different varieties, because of where I live. Very mild winter with scorching summers.

I traded with another member on here to get some seeds, hopefully he'll chime in on this thread.

I'm pretty sure you want to plant yours in the fall. Where I am (zone 7) that is the best way. You also need a seed driller. Barley needs to be pushed down under the earth. You can try broadcasting and raking, YMMV.

I tried to grow some a couple years ago. It wasn't entirely successful, as the area I had for planting was on a hillside and most wasn't in full sun. The little I did get though, taught me one lesson - once it's ready, the harvesting, threshing and winnowing is VERY labor intensive (unless you have a combine at your disposal). It's doable, and there's definitely something appealing about brewing with your own barley, but be prepared for some effort!

I got mine here: https://www.superseeds.com/products.php?cat=229 All they have is 6-row, but they indicate that it's high enough quality to be malted for brewing.

Also, I didn't even get as far as actually malting it. That's something else you'll need to figure out.

Good luck!

I tried to grow some a couple years ago. It wasn't entirely successful, as the area I had for planting was on a hillside and most wasn't in full sun. The little I did get though, taught me one lesson - once it's ready, the harvesting, threshing and winnowing is VERY labor intensive (unless you have a combine at your disposal). It's doable, and there's definitely something appealing about brewing with your own barley, but be prepared for some effort!

I got mine here: https://www.superseeds.com/products.php?cat=229 All they have is 6-row, but they indicate that it's high enough quality to be malted for brewing.

Also, I didn't even get as far as actually malting it. That's something else you'll need to figure out.

Good luck!

Well, i just ordered the 5lb bag. If it doesn't end up being good enough for malting it will certainly make my new goat very happy.
I appreciate the help.

Johnny's Selected Seeds carries Robust (6-row spring) and Conlon (2-row spring) barleys, if you're looking at planting. They have them in organic, as well, although I believe they're out of that at present.

Also, if you're looking for particular varietals, you can try the National Plant Germplasm System (linked in this series of posts); they'll send (free) a 5-gram sample of whatever type of seed you can name. Granted, 5 grams of barley will only seed about 5 square feet, but if you're patient, you can harvest the grains, then re-sow the next year; rinse and repeat, and before long you've got a decent amount of grain... :drunk: At least, that's my plan. :)

Cheers!

--Misha

Wow, NPGS site is very confusing. I found the order form but can't find the list of available germplasm varieties.

It's not a great site, but it's not as bad as it looks, really. On the main page (http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/), there's a "Search" box near the top left. That's what you want. Type "barley", hit enter. You'll get 22 thousand and some hits... If you know what particular variety you want, go back and type that in. You can get as specific as you want--I picked up Maris Otter, Halcyon, Bere, and Hana--or go a little more broad with the search: "Moravian Barley" brings back 20 results. (It includes varieties descended from what you searched for.) :mug:

Hope this helps. Cheers!

--Misha

Latest posts

Back