Hurricane preparedness tip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronsky

Reaction score
While getting ready for Hurricane Sandy; I had a sudden thought :
My bottling bucket w/spigot is an *excellent* container for potable water!
Who would have thought that my new home brewing hobby equipment would have survival uses as well!

And after the hurricanopolypse you can trade home brew for those indispensable medical supplies!

Seriously though, best of luck and I hope it misses you.

RobertRGeorge said:
And after the hurricanopolypse you can trade home brew for those indispensable medical supplies!

Seriously though, best of luck and I hope it misses you.

I live just outside of Philadelphia, so it's going to hit us; I just don't know how bad it will be. And thank you for your well wishes.

If worse comes to worse, your propane burners can be used to boil water to make it potable. In a pinch, you could cook and eat the grains, though they taste better as beer. And plus for survival there should be plenty of homebrew stocked up to keep you alive and entertained.

Throw a party, get hurricained in, and enjoy yourself.

DrunkleJon said:
If worse comes to worse, your propane burners can be used to boil water to make it potable. In a pinch, you could cook and eat the grains, though they taste better as beer. And plus for survival there should be plenty of homebrew stocked up to keep you alive and entertained.

Throw a party, get hurricained in, and enjoy yourself.

Talk about doom & gloom! I have been through a lot of stuff in my years on this planet, and survived everything it has thrown at me so far. I am concerned, and aware of the dangers, but I don't panic...
I was going to say 'Relax, don't worry, and have another home brew' but I don't feel that would be appropriate in preparation -mode.
AFTER this I will for dang sure. ;-)

20 gallon RO tank in the garage, 200 pounds of grain in the basement. I'm all set. I'll be having a homebrew and awaiting stormageddon... :ban: But just in case we all live, I have some coffee stout to cold crash.

I usually just get some canned food, fill the tub with water before the storm hits for later use if needed, get batteries for my flash lights, and then stockpile a ton if beer. Hurricane parties are awesome.

Bad part is,this one's a noreaster with a huricane in the center. Think perfect storm here. It's so huge,by tomorrow we'll likely be feeling the outer edges of the storm here in northeast Ohio. The weather map showed the center around DFH,& the edge past the middle of PA by 6am tomorrow as it steers inland.

i live right outside of philly filled freezer bags with ice till there was no room left in the freezer got plenty of beers in the fridge and fillin up the carboys with filtered water :rockin:

I filled both of my 6.9 gal primaries, the 5 gal sanitizing bucket, 2 3 gal, pots and the tub. Leaving for work in am and expecting to be there for 2-3 days.

Still didnt fill the carbor or my 10 gal pot. I just don't trust my bottling bucket home alone filled for that amount of time yet.

I dont think my co2 tank is going to last me through the storm :( bad preparation.

just swaped 2 kegs out yesterday and always force carb, the needle just droped below 500 :(

Luckily i splurged on brew at the distributor. Growler of firestone 31 bomber of perennial artisan ales Hommel, 4-pk of old speckled hen, duvel and seasonal SA case for SWMBO. The dunkel is actually pretty good.

Good luck to everyone this week!!

Stocked up on some beer today, I suppose its a good thing that my recent home brew isn't ready to keg and ready to serve. If we lost power for a few days, I'd be a bit worried about it.

I have 4ish gallons of low abv (3.2ish) belgian golden ready to go. Should the worst happen I'll feel like a 17th century farmer and buzz out the hurricane with my mildly dehydrating 'potable water'.

Lessee...The 10 gallon MLT, HLT and BK are all filled with fresh water, and so is the tub. I have 6 kegs at various levels in the keezer, two more full kegs chilled, carbed and ready, and I just did an epic 3 batch brew day Friday so I have three carboys percolating nicely...And I still have about ~120 pounds of grains in the bins.

I think I have the beer part covered :)

Otherwise, everything is battened down for the ride, though I suspect Central Mass isn't all that threatened...

Cheers!

Hunkered down, listening to the banshees howl, and decided it was time to 'Relax, Don't worry, and have another home brew! '
To all the others in the north east in the eye of the storm, best of luck and see you on the flip side!

I'm ready if I should be stranded in me own home. Cheers :)

image-515375897.jpg

Well, it's feeling like the worst is over up here. We certainly had some amazingly strong wind blasts over the afternoon and evening. We lost one ~80 white oak that is now acting like a crude bridge across our small pond, and power went out for about an hour, but otherwise we're pretty much unscathed.

On the up side, I've been wanting to take that tree down for 20 years but the spouse had a thing for it. Winning! ;)

Cheers!

So far so good. Haven't lost power out and have been buzzin out the storm since 4. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

ronsky said:
While getting ready for Hurricane Sandy; I had a sudden thought :
My bottling bucket w/spigot is an *excellent* container for potable water!
Who would have thought that my new home brewing hobby equipment would have survival uses as well!

Since my bottling bucket is my primary i have my carboy filled with water as my primary is full with the beer brewed saturday.

We made it through safe and sound. Some friends from work in New Jersey not so lucky with lots of property damage. But, stuff can be replaced, just glad no one I know was hurt.

I hope that all those that were in the path made it through safely.

Brew day Saturday to restore
normalcy.

Hope everyone's fine and well.....

Maybe it's because hurricanes are pretty much normal here I noticed it. Has anyone ever noticed the spending stimulated because of hurricanes? Everyone clears the shelves at all the grocery stores, buys generators, large amounts of wood is sold to board up houses, hurricane supplies like batteries and flashlights etc all get sold, then on top of that companies get hired to fix millions or even billions in property damage making them large profits while creating jobs . When hurricane wilma hit here in 2005 90% of the residents vehicles were totaled by flooding. The dealerships down here never sold so many cars it was nuts. It's crazy to see how much just a single storm can spark so much money to move.

Well,my driveway & yard is full of branches & leaves after the wind howled up to a wistle around here. Damn house sounded like it was gunna shred apart with winds they say gusting to 65mph. Power was out for a few hours. But in the middle of the night. Wind wistling,trees spazing,lightening glowing blue green in the clouds like giant flash bulbs poping in the night. Some of the sounds I heard I could swear was my car getting crunched,but no. I'll have to check the outside of the house tomorrow. Winds are finally dying down. Too bad I'm broke till thursday. No beer or cigs. ****...:(

Hope everyone's fine and well.....

Maybe it's because hurricanes are pretty much normal here I noticed it. Has anyone ever noticed the spending stimulated because of hurricanes? Everyone clears the shelves at all the grocery stores, buys generators, large amounts of wood is sold to board up houses, hurricane supplies like batteries and flashlights etc all get sold, then on top of that companies get hired to fix millions or even billions in property damage making them large profits while creating jobs . When hurricane wilma hit here in 2005 90% of the residents vehicles were totaled by flooding. The dealerships down here never sold so many cars it was nuts. It's crazy to see how much just a single storm can spark so much money to move.

I work for a major retail store, and we've moved hundreds of thousands of dollars with this storm (along with irene last year). We've been trucking special delivery of generators, dehums, sump pumps and we still cant keep it in stock. In all honesty, it shocks me how much people aren't prepared for natural disasters. Especially after being devastated by Irene last year. Even for what we sold and moved, we are still leaving 1000's of people with out the products they came in looking for. My hearts goes out to all the people who were devastated from the storm, but we should all take away from this that we should have a solid emergency plan laid down. Not conjure up one in the midst of **** hitting the fan. I wish our warehouses were big enough to stock everyones needs when things like this happen, but its just not a realistic option. Most of these trucks are coming from midwest states, along with directly from the manufacturer as we've depleted east coast stock.

Back