why do you like kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
a buddy and i were discussing home brewing, and he was asking why did i like kegging versus bottling. my reasons were because with kegging, it's quicker, less hassle, and zero chances of bottle bombs. i also said that there is nothing like being able to walk in and pull a pint after working hard all day. from mowing the grass to just another day at the office, it's a good feeling to be able to pour yourself a tall one anytime. plus, you can get as little or as much as you want without having to worry about some going flat or going to waste. so, what are some of your reasons for liking kegging??:mug:

Cleaning and filling bottles for a ten gallon batch is a huge pain and takes all day! That's why I started kegging.

kegging saves me hours of work cleaning, sanitizing, drying, and filling of bottles. i do bottle two 750ml bottles for each batch to drink 6-12 months down the road, but thats it.

Simplicity and clarity was my reason. I love how easy kegging is. I just clean my lines/taps as I clean the keg, fill the the keg with starsan and let it sit until the next beer is ready, then I just run some starsan though the lines, transfer the rest to the next clean keg (if it's not cloudy) and rack my beer.

I like how it's just right there and always at the right temp. I like how it's cleaner and doesn't require me to teach people how to pour without getting the yeast. I like how I can still bottle and give it to friends without a 'how to pour a beer' lesson. I also like how it is easier to get beer up to the volumes of CO2 I want in a few days (great for IPA's and other beers I like young). I have nothing against bottles, but after I kegged my first beer, I'll never do just bottles again.

The kegging-vs-bottling pissing match has been done to death.

I keg everything, and bottle enough to save for competitions. Not everyone has the financial ability to get into kegging, whereas bottling is relatively cheap. It can also be difficult to find refrigeration space that will accommodate kegs, whereas a dozen or two beer are easy to just toss in the fridge.

I actually don't like it all too much. I don't like bottling anymore than I do kegging, and it is a much bigger hassle, but kegging isn't really convenient for my situation I guess. Not to mention my keezer is usually running fermentation chamber duties. And in my best efforts to not sound like an alcoholic or anything, it's also a lot easier to tell myself it's time to stop for the night when I have 4 empty bottles sitting in front of me rather than a tap handle with seemingly unlimited beer behind it.

I do plan on finally filling some of my kegs again when my bock and bopils are done lagering, but that'll probably be a while down the road.

Honestly, I don't mind bottling. I really think that if you're doing it properly, bottling day shouldn't take much time or effort. I know it doesn't for me. Every beer I want to age or that I know takes a while to come together gets bottled.

There is, however, something really cool about pulling a pint of your own beer from a tap. That's pretty neat. I also don't like sediment and don't have much fridge space to wait for yeast to compact in the bottom of a bottle.

Honestly, I don't mind bottling. I really think that if you're doing it properly, bottling day shouldn't take much time or effort. I know it doesn't for me. Every beer I want to age or that I know takes a while to come together gets bottled.

I am the same. I usually bottle while my grains are mashing, so it really takes no extra time. The other advantages of bottling for me is that I can have a big variety of different brews to drink. I have about 10 different brews in my fridge and many more that are ready. There is no way I could have 10-15 different brews on tap. I also bring brews to parties so my friends can enjoy them.

I do like stout on nitro so I do have a nitro set up for my stouts. So I both bottle and keg, but mostly bottle.

I have a kegerator with 3 taps and not enough time and space for enough bottles to keep a nice pipeline. But, kegging is, for me, faster, easier and more expensive. My worst expense is over and now I can use the kegs over and over and over and there's still nothing like pulling the tap on your own beer. I can't get use to that yet and hope I never do.

Pro keg. Easily C02 flushed,Closed transfers, dry hopping in keg, and no giant collection of bottles. This being said i still bottle from the keg for comps.

You are kidding right? Ha!

It is just easier... you need to take care of bottles, they break they take up space,

... with kegs you have ease of cleaning and filling. You don't have to rinse it out when you drink it

Kegging gives you more options. When you keg, you can still bottle- and you don't have to worry about yeast of the bottom of the bottle. I got tired of trying to explain to non brewers not to drink the end of the bottle.

clean 1 keg, or 50 some odd bottles? hmmmm.. what to choooose... man this is a hard one.

Not everyone has the financial ability to get into kegging, whereas bottling is relatively cheap. It can also be difficult to find refrigeration space that will accommodate kegs, whereas a dozen or two beer are easy to just toss in the fridge.

Some of us also dont have room for another fridge/kegerator/etc, where as bottles can be shoved in a closet. Plus I dont entertain oftern (see previous space comment) and want others to enjoy my brews, so bottling allows me to share.

a buddy and i were discussing home brewing, and he was asking why did i like kegging versus bottling. my reasons were because with kegging, it's quicker, less hassle, and zero chances of bottle bombs. i also said that there is nothing like being able to walk in and pull a pint after working hard all day. from mowing the grass to just another day at the office, it's a good feeling to be able to pour yourself a tall one anytime. plus, you can get as little or as much as you want without having to worry about some going flat or going to waste. so, what are some of your reasons for liking kegging??:mug:

This plus the 10 gallon comment.

because,

- it's less annoying than bottling
-a disconnect won't work on a bottle
-drinking straight from the fermenter doesn't taste as good.

Kegging is def easier than bottling, however I tend to brew more than I drink, so I end up bottling as well.
There have been a couple of times I've been cussing because of my keg set up:
I've experienced regulator-creep on two different occasions. Both times had about 2 or 3 quarts of beer blown out of the cobra tap. The first time I followed the advice from Midwest supplies to 'fix' it. The second time I decided to take apart the reg assy to find some debris inside the regulator.

Im sure kegging is super nice. If somone wants to buy me the setup. But for now ill bottle. And each of those badboys makes a job well done. Cheers!

1. I hate cleaning bottles.
2. I like to be able to "run the row" without getting drunk.
3. I can adjust the amount I pour based on the beer. A pint of Bent Rod Rye has about the same alcohol content as 6 oz of the Biere de Garde. And I would never want to drink a pint of a barley wine or even 12 oz. I drink them in 4 oz sampler glasses.

I split my 10 gallon batches in two (most of the time). I like the keg for CONVENIENCE. I bottle to share with family and coworkers. If I didn't have a separate beer frige, I wouldn't have a problem bottling everything... part of the hobby.

Latest posts

Back