Lid on When Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottfro

Reaction score
All the autosparge arms and other methods of sparging seem to require that the lid is off the lauder tun, is this normal practice? I've only been sparging by hand up till now (pouring sparge water on as I'm running off) and I always keep the lid on to keep the heat in there.

Thoughts, recommendations?

It shouldn't make too much difference, other than retaining some heat during the sparge. Or if you're an outside brewer, it's nice to have a lid to keep the bees, leaves, and neighbors out of the mash. My mash tun has a hole through the wall near the top where I run the sparge water through to a copper sparge ring. Since it's slightly below the top, I can keep the lid on.
recirc.jpg

I had a Phil's sparge arm for my bucket MLT before I got a 10 gallon Coleman cooler. I just drilled a hole in the center of the top and ran the sparge arm through. It fits perfect. The arm is adjustable by 6 inches up or down depending on the grain bed. I leave the cover on other than to peek at the water level above the grain bed.

I usually throw the lid on mine while sparging but as others have said it's mostly to keep stuff from falling in, not for heat retention. Now that the cold weather is here and I'll have to mash in my kitchen I probably won't even bother with the lid.

Back