new "big"boy carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poetic_entropy

Reaction score
I just got 2 pyrex 12 gallon glass carboys. Is this going to be big enough to primary a ten gallon batch?

Is any one using an iwaki magnetic pump? I just picked one up cheap and need to find info on temp ratings. Can I pump 170 deg wort through it?

Thanks

prost!!!!

Jester369 said:
Where did you find those badboys?

50 bones on craiglist, had 3 he broke one before i got there. They are new, the guy got them from some laboratory that he works at..... He just said they were big, I was expecting 6.5's or so. whoa baby they were huge

How on earth do you move a 12-gallon glass carboy that's full of wort? You buy a folklift on Craigslist, too? Those things have got to weight what, fifty pounds just empty?

To answer the question - they should work, you just might need a blow-off tube depending on your actual volume and how aggressive a ferment you have. I ferment 5 gallons in a 6 gallon BB, that's the same math at 10 gallons in a 12.

the_bird said:
How on earth do you move a 12-gallon glass carboy that's full of wort? You buy a folklift on Craigslist, too? Those things have got to weight what, fifty pounds just empty?

To answer the question - they should work, you just might need a blow-off tube depending on your actual volume and how aggressive a ferment you have. I ferment 5 gallons in a 6 gallon BB, that's the same math at 10 gallons in a 12.

They are surprisingly light considering (empty) I am thinking of a handtruck style dolly that they mount in, all cushioned etc. balloon tire type. That is also why I bought the pump. So if needed less moving around.

so ten it is yeah :rockin:

poetic_entropy said:
They are surprisingly light considering (empty) I am thinking of a handtruck style dolly that they mount in, all cushioned etc. balloon tire type.
Dude -- post a photo of it all, if you get the chance. I would love to see these, particularly ones full of wort! Great find.

Back