Need HLT vessel suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
My HLT is a Marine grade rectangular cooler that made it through 100 gallons in about a year. I have since moved and broke it out to brew for the first time in about a year.

The cooler is cracked. I am probably going to have to use an improvised insulated bottling bucket for an HLT tomorrow. I would like to build a new HLT though. My HLT has a 3500W heating element a brass outflow valve and a site tube and temp sensor as well installed. I am looking for suggestions for a good vessel 40 quart or larger to rebuild my HLT, hopefully something more durable.

If you're strictly using it as an hlt and not mashing in it, the insulation properties of a cooler aren't as necessary. Certainly nice, from a heating efficiency point of view. Given that you've got the temp sensor, I presume that you've got a pid or some such to keep the water at desired temp. From your location I'm guessing that you're not brewing in the snow, so fighting to keep your water heated probably isn't too much of a battle.

I suspect an economy kettle would serve your needs. Adding reflectix to the outside would be easy if you want to stay electric, or you have the option to use a flame to do some of the heating if you prefer.

Back