Carbonation Overload!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlbco1

Reaction score
Ok, so I kegged Delirium's Lemonparty Citrus Ale the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I set the regulator to 20 lbs intending to lower it before I left town for the holiday. I have been dealing with an overcarbonated but tasty beer ever since. Any suggestions on how to deal with this problem?:confused:

Without knowing the temperature of your beer it's not clear what the actual problem might be. Take a look at this carbonation chart,

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

plug in the beer temp, go across the row to find the desired carbonation level, the go up the column to find the appropriate CO2 level. If it's lower than your 20 psi then you'll want to shut off the CO2 and start burping the gas out of the keg headspace until you tame that brew...

Cheers!

I really overcarbed a porter a few months back. I just racked the beer out of the keg into a carboy, used a degassing wand (used to degas wine. It connects to a drill) to remove all the CO2. Just make sure you don't whirlpool which can introduce oxygen. Then I racked back into the keg and carbed at a lower PSI.

Back