should I harvest my Columbus hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathanquist

Reaction score
Going on vacation soon gonna be gone for about a week and a half. Just wondering weather I should harvest today and dry out for the next two days because that's how long it takes

ForumRunner_20120830_112152.jpg

How do they smell when you squeeze/roll them then rub your fingers together? It's hard to tell whether you used a dull knife or the lupulin glands are not fully developed.

I think you will be ok to wait. Columbus are mid-late season harvesters and given your first year and region i'd think 1-2 weeks more wouldn't hurt. I have huge first year production from a Columbus that I'm waiting another 1-2 weeks on.

The best way to see if they are ready is to tear them in half the way that you cut them with the scissors. But by tearing, it doesn't make such a clean cut and you can see the lupulin a little better. If the hops are moist but papery on the outside and have a good amount of yellow pollen inside they are ready. When you squeeze them they should almost bounce back to their original size. Here is a good video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back