Adding vanilla bean- just add in or rack to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

americaswing

Reaction score
I'm 1 week in to a vanilla porter- directions say to rack to a secondary and add my vanilla that I've been soaking in vodka.

However, I'm wondering if I can just add the vanilla straight to the primary so the yeast can keep working. I almost killed the yeast when I brewed (yey for pitching to hot and then fretting until I finally saw bubbles :eek: ) so I'm afraid it hasn't finished working. Plus, I know that the longer it sits in the primary- the 'cleaner' the brew will be.

Thoughts? To secondary or not to secondary?

Thanks from a new brewer!

Don't go by any time lines specifically given with a recipe in regards to primary fermentation. Each batch of beer and each fermentation is its own animal meaning type of yeast, gravity of the beer, temperatures and so on will all affect the performance of the yeast in primary. I say all that to say this take hydrometer readings. It is the only way to know when it's time to rack to secondary. You could add the vanilla to primary and let it sit, however if you're going to secondary it I would wait until primary is complete (by hydrometer readings), transfer to secondary, and add the vanilla at that point and age from there. Hope that helps, good luck.

I can't think of a downside to adding the bean to the primary. On the other hand, I'd ditch the bean altogether, and add vanilla extract at bottling.

I threw vanilla beans into a porter once it wrapped up fermenting right in the primary - came out great. I think we had two beans, after 5 days we were right at the flavor profile we wanted.

Well, I checked with a hydrometer yesterday and its sitting at 1.02 (don't have the OG). I'll check again tomorrow and see if is holding steady.

If its steady, in assuming I'm good to add vanilla.

Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back