When to add dextrose for a DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
Im brewing a DIPA, the recipe calls for 6% of the malt bill for dextrose. but I dont know at what tiome of the boil to add it. please help

Thanks

Brewing pliny the elder?

When I brewed extract kits that used dextrose it was added in the beginning of the boil.

In reality you can add it any time during the boil as it will simply dissolve and become part of the wort. Personally I add sugar towards the last 10 minutes for really no particular reason.

That being said, IMO if it is an amount larger than a pound you would be best to make a simple syrup and add it as fermentation slows. The teas is because it is a simple sugar you are giving the yeast a chance to consume the more difficult sugars first and then the simple sugars.

In some cases with large sugar additions the yeast will consume those first and then not fully ferment the more comix sugars of the malts

Back