Fermentation carboy size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbri

Reaction score
What would happen if you put your 5 gallon recipe wort in a 3 gallon carboy and top off with water. Will it be a stronger tasting beer? It would be less diluted right?

Sounds like dangerous territory. I would expect it to probably have considerable blow off due to the amount of sugars concentrated in a smaller batch. Your flavors would probably be off, maybe stronger, maybe just unbalanced. I am sure others could weigh in better, but I would expect it would lead to an off-flavored mess.

What would happen if you put your 5 gallon recipe wort in a 3 gallon carboy and top off with water. Will it be a stronger tasting beer? It would be less diluted right?

Why would anyone do this?

Wait, am I missing something? If you're adding 5 gallons of wort to a 3 gallon fermenter, how can you top off with anything? You wouldn't be able to get two gallons of the wort itself in!

He means a 5G recipe with only 3G of total wort. It will be stronger with a bit more ABV. Brewers on the Cooper's forums do this a lot. But something like 20L instead of the regular 23L (6.072USG).

Ah. I was gonna say, something about that just ain't gonna work! Thanks for the clarification.

Back