Kolsch Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dec

Reaction score
I'm in the process of my first brew and decided to do a Kolsch using the kit from Midwestsupplies with the White Labs Kolsch Ale 029 yeast.

According to White Labs website the Optimum Fermentation Temperature is 65-69°F.

I got the idea from an article I found on beersmith but the recipe he used had the same yeast yet he said to ferment the beer at 60°F or as close as you can get to 60°F.

I have my primary in the basement in a spot that is a constant 62.5 but if I move it around the corner I can achieve 65. Or if I move it towards to back I can get closer to 60. What temperature should be the optimal for my Kolsch and in the future should I rely on the yeast manufacturers website or will that change depending on the style of brew?

IMO probally not a huge difference. Traditionaly Kolsch is done closer to 60 but you will get damn good beer at 62.5 or 60 also.

If you are using a starter you can ferment down towards 60 but it isn't necessary with the WL029 yeast strain. It's very clean and has a nice, understated fruity ester to it. I fermented at 65* and it turned out great. Brewed back in March and it's fairly popular on tap.

Back