Does my store bought cider have to be unpasteurized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whino

Reaction score
I can't find unpasteurized cider here anywhere. I have considered making my own but I'm not sure if that is necessary. Can I use a jug of cider from Sam's? It has apples, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate listed as ingreadents? We've made wine and beer but this will be the 1st cider attempt. I'm glad for any recipe suggestions you may have also.

Don't use apple juice that contains potassium sorbate. It will kill the yeast. Pasteurized apple juice is fine.

correct, generally avoid anything with ingredients ending in ate or other chemicals haha. Ascorbic acid or vitamin C are fine since they are used to add acidity and preserve color, they however will not inhibit fermentation like chemical preservatives will. You should be able to easily find non preserved juice at any grocer.

Depends on your local grocers. The Dominick's near me has some nice gallon jugs of pasteurized cider with no preservatives, but for some reason Jewel only carries their own brand which has Potassium Sorbate. So dissapointed, since I had a coupon. Like they said, make sure to check the ingredients.

Back