Dremel Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRT888

Reaction score
Never used a dremel before and considering buying this one.First use is to cut the plastic molding on my mini fridge. Anyone know if I can use this as a drill as well? can I jsut insert drill bits into it? really clueless about this and cant examine the fittings in the store... I am just hoping that I don't need to get a drill and a dremel.... will this work for both?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001GUDRI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
That appears to be a Black & Decker Dremel clone and I cannot tell from the link what type of chuck it has. Unless they've changed something, the chucks for these things will only accept one or two sizes of tool shank, so you may be able to use it as a drill for one or two bit sizes, but that's it. IOW, not a good substitute for a drill. I would suggest that you buy a drill. Every man should have a decent drill. Don't know how I could get along without one really.

yeah... am hoping I can borrow one or something- I have an apartment right now and really can't do many projects of any kind, so just trying to do what i can to get by with for my kegerator build... so the consensus is it wont work to drill pilot holes for a tower, and wont work for a hole saw drill bit?

I've had a couple of different dremels and can't imagine it working for a hole saw.

If you search for Harbor Freight coupons and get lucky you can get a rather inexpensive variable speed drill there. I wouldn't swear but I think I paid $12-15 for one. May not last that long but if I can use it half a dozen times or so then I'll call it a good deal.

No way will it work for a hole saw. They require a lot of torque and should be used at relatively low rpm's. Drills are cheap. A cheapy corded drill like this one from Harbor Freight should be fine for occasional use: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-...nch-variable-speed-reversible-drill-3670.html

$15 should not break the bank. I would avoid the very low end cordless drills. They seldom have the power you need and the batteries are typically junk. Much better, but less convenient, to go with a corded drill if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

I'm not sure what setup you have, but if you're cutting the plastic molding on the inside of the fridge door you may want to just take it out and replace with dry erase board. It looks a lot better and it's a cheap way to do it (Lowe's will cut for free if you give them your measurements). These things will certainly drill pilot holes for screws without a problem, but they're not powerful enough to use something like a hole saw. However, you can drill small pilot holes around your large hole template and use a cutting wheel/disc with the dremel to make the large hole. Hope this makes sense.

I bought my dremel when I was still an apartment dweller and found all sorts of uses for it. In my book, it's a tool that everyone should have handy but a step or two below a good cordless drill.

While I shot it down for a hole saw,the dremel made short work of cutting the slots in my cpvc MLT manifold. Therefore, I second ChshreCat vote. If you can, get a drill and dremel!

Back