Filled the carboy too much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
This is my second time making mead, and for the occasion I decided to try making some blueberry mead. I used:

13lbs of honey, a little less that 7lbs of mashed blueberries, and 2 packets of D-47.

I pitched the yeast about 11 hours ago and its fermenting nicely. The only problem is that I filled the carboy too much and there is leakage on the top. (I am using a piece of cloth instead of an airlock as stated by the original instructions)

Well I'm afraid I'll be losing a lot of mead and I know its all my fault because I was fully aware of what I was getting myself into. The question is, should I leave in the 5 gallon carboy or should I keg up a beer I have in a 6.5 gallon carboy, clean that and sanitize it, and then rack the blueberry into that 6.5 gallon carboy?

Any input is appreciated!

why not just throw it into a bucket for a few days, and then return it to the 5 gal once the fermentation slows?

I'd say make a blow off tube into sanitizer and leave it be. Racking during fermentation won't be good I don't think. I've never done mead though. Starting my first on Monday... I've brewed plenty of beer and some cider though.

why not just throw it into a bucket for a few days, and then return it to the 5 gal once the fermentation slows?

Good idea. I will siphon out 16oz into a separate bottle, I think that'll do it

Back