White film help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc5066

Reaction score
What is this white film forming on my wine?

Put into secondary about three days ago.

Black Cherry Wine.

I did use star san. I read somewhere that it could be from that? Just thought I'd throw that in there.

white+stuff+on+wine.jpg

Figured out how to add to my previous post. Now I need to figure out how to delete:cross:

If the white film when left alone makes like a flat solid sheet and once shaken breaks apart like ice on water. Then it may be lactobacillus growing in your wine. Lactobacillus is a bacteria that converts sugar into lactic acid. The best way to treat that is to mix in 1 crushed Camden tablet (potassium meta bi-sulfate) and cold crash over a period of a few days. Then rack off any sediment and add one more crushed Camden tablet and then it can sit at room temp under airlock. The film should not come back if all your racking equipment is clean.

Now that all the scary stuff is talked about. If it does not look like how I mentioned above but rather floaty bits kind of like chalk on water. It may just be the starsan. As a cleaner for my equipment I like to use dissolved Camden tablets like 3 or 4 in a spray bottle and a splash of lemon juice in it.

It's more like a film. It seems to break apart almost like a soap film would. No chunks like ice on water. I've seen those pic's and I don't think it's that. In the last 24 hours it doesn't seem to have changed.

Latest posts

Back