Yeast oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChimayLover

Reaction score
I didnt read my directions and added 2 packets of safale ale yeast instead of one...will this damage my beers flavor?

Im sure Ill be corected if im wrong, but I dont think it will, maybe just a faster fermentation

Nope -- you will be fine. According to the manufacturers, you probably have to quadruple the amount of yeast before you start seeing the effects of over-pitching. There are exceptions, however -- particularly any beer that relies on a characteristic yeast flavour, such as a hefeweizen, witbier, some English ales or Belgians, etc. Typically for these types of beers, esters and phenolics contribute predominantly to the yeast flavour, and if you really overpitch you put your beer at risk of being 'too clean' for the style. Even then, I bet it is hard to do.

That's good to know FlyGuy. I would have thought "the more the better," but you bring up some great points.

Back