Too much break material/trub loss!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PtreeCreekBrew

Reaction score
My last few brews have had very low yield to fermenter, primarily due to break and trub left in the kettle--up to 2 gallons' worth!

I'm hitting my target gravities, and getting good yields from my mashes (75%+), with average boil-off and top-up consistent with my pre-brew volume calculations.

I suppose I should be glad that I'm getting really clear beer, but at a 20% loss of product, I'm not very happy about it. I thought perhaps I was using too much rice hull (always keep it below 5%) and perhaps not letting the grain bed settle enough during sparge, so today, I didn't use any. I had a good mash, looked like I got a good clear wort, and I had hopes for a full batch's yield, but no change.

Maybe my crush is too coarse?

I wouldn't worry about getting break material in the fermenter. It will settle to the bottom during fermentation and shouldn't cause any flavor issues.

I wouldn't worry about getting break material in the fermenter. It will settle to the bottom during fermentation and shouldn't cause any flavor issues.

Ditto that.

Also, are you using leaf hops?

Have to agree. I used to worry about break material, etc in the fermenter, but after the first couple years, I just a coarse filter to keep the hop cones out.

I just dump everything into the fermenter. My beers still end up clear and I don't give up 2 gallons of my precious brew.

For you guys that are throwing it all in...I'm assuming you're leaving behind the hop trub?

Are you seeing head retention loss due to protein content?

For you guys that are throwing it all in...I'm assuming you're leaving behind the hop trub?

Are you seeing head retention loss due to protein content?

I use a hop spider to contain the hop matter (keeps it out of my plate chiller)... Everything that can go from the boil keggle into the fermenter does. I leave very little behind in the keggle (I also get all the wort out of the hop spider).

Back