Leaving keg overnight without co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyk2104

Reaction score
So I am kegging with a friend for the first time tomorrow night.

He lives about 45 miles from me and I am kegging the beer at his house and staying over and bringing it home the next day to put on my kegerator.

My question is, will that beer be alright in the keg overnight without any Co2? There will be some oxygen in the keg since I cannot add the co2 and burp it until the next day.

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

If you already have the keg, you could purge the O2 out before you take it to his place. Otherwise, try to be as gentle with it as possible. It wouldn't be that different from racking into a secondary after all.

You can't bring your CO2 tank along for the ride? I don't know what size tank you have, but my 5# tank is fairly portable. My 20# tank, on the other hand...

In my experience, most of my kegs take a bit of pressure to seal properly. I can just see the keg slumping over in the car seat and leaking slowly for the duration of a 45 drive. From an oxygenation standpoint, it depends if you are planning to put a full 5-gal batch into a 5-gal keg. If so, the headspace should be minimal, and an overnight stay shouldn't really be problematic. If you are only filling the keg halfway though, there will be a whole lot more oxygen to slosh around with the beer during the drive, so it might taste like wet cardboard by the time it gets home to the kegerator.

Before I began kegging, I purged a few fermenters using dry ice. This might also be an option, (or just clean, sanitize, and purge before you go as someone else said) but I'm still wary of leaks. Just my $0.02.

Back