Cutting Rhizomes From Potted Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDonn63

Reaction score
I Currently have one each first year Chinook, Tettnanger, Cascade, and Hallertau hops growing in large pots; all are showing pretty good production (first to last in cone production). Once I harvest, and before winter, I would like to take some root cuttings if possible and start them in indoor pots for next year. I was wondering what is the best way to do this? Also when should I do it? I am 50/50 on just putting them in the ground next March,also which I'd imagine would probably be the best time to take a few cuttings.

Right, I'll just hold off then. When I get there though, what is the best way to cut the rhizomes? Just take sections from the bottom parts of the roots? Is there a way to take cuttings without removing the plant from the pot if I decide not to put them in the ground?

You're probably gonna have to wait until after the second year to begin making cuttings. Normally, by the end of the first year you're just left with a giant rhizome and a bunch of roots. The lower buds of 'that' rhizome/crown may form rhizomes by the end of the next season if they're oriented properly off of the crown. You can cut and plant as many roots as you want but you can't grow new plants from true roots. Rhizomes are the underground parts that have the buds necessary to grow new plants. Good luck!

I've heard (but not experienced first-hand... also a first-year potted hop grower) that you can leave the bottom couple feet when you trim your bines for the fall, bury them shallowly, and you'll have rhizomes come spring. I don't see any reason this shouldn't work just as well in a pot -- in fact, I'm hoping it does, as I've got some friends I've already promised rhizomes to. ;)

Anybody with first-hand experience with the "bury the bines" technique have any pointers?

Latest posts

Back