Wooden Mash Paddle.. material and finish..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
So what is a good material choice for a wooden mash paddle?

Sealed and finished or unsealed?

If sealed and finished.. what with?

I'm gonna make one with my new CNC table, but I need these basics answered...

Garcias!
:mug:

4/4 clear hard maple. Sand to 220 grit and finish with a few coats of walnut oil. 24 hrs apart.

So I guess the idea is the harder and denser the wood the better.. no knots, no voids... nice and clear...

Stay away from softer woods like fir?

But oak, maple, walnut, almond, manzanita, etc.. are okay?

Or are even some hardwoods a no-no?

Standard thickness for rough sawn lumber
Standard thickness for rough sawn lumber is expressed in quarters of an inch. For example 1" = 4⁄4.
The majority of US hardwood lumber production is sawn between 1" and 2", although other
thicknesses are available in more limited volumes. The standard thicknesses and their exact metric
equivalent are shown below.
from http://www.ahec.org/hardwoods/pdfs/IllustratedGradingGuide.pdf

four quarters = one inch rough sawn lumber dimension. After you/ someone else mills it it becomes 3/4 dimensional lumber. I leave it as thick as I can to save my blades so it doesent always get to 3/4"

Okay.. so that is a dimensional thing.. I can go my own way there..

Are there any hardwoods that have oils or whatever that make them a bad idea for mash paddles?

a quick google search says any tight-grain hardwood other than those containing toxins (this includes cherry) for general cooking utensils.

Don't know why I never think to check google..

Osage Orange sounds like some awesome stuff for this...

I would like to find out that manzanita would work.. still looking for info.. There's boatloads of that stuff around here..

I'm starting to think Manzanita will be fine.. It's a gorgeous wood, and I'm thinking that some of the stuff around here is not manzanita but Madrone.. as these are definitely 'trees'.. So I think both are local.. and both make great food utensils.. and both are a gorgeous and very dense wood...

I'm gonna need a way to resaw it... maybe I can make a deal with my buddy who has a 32' portable sawmill...

I'm starting to think Manzanita will be fine.. It's a gorgeous wood, and I'm thinking that some of the stuff around here is not manzanita but Madrone.. as these are definitely 'trees'.. So I think both are local.. and both make great food utensils.. and both are a gorgeous and very dense wood...

I'm gonna need a way to resaw it... maybe I can make a deal with my buddy who has a 32' portable sawmill...

careful with madrone...i seem to remember something about not using it for foods.
i saw many recommendations for the orange osage, but also a couple people saying it may have some sort of toxin in it.
and oak is too porous, it absorbs liquids and flavors.

I would like to carve some artwork into the thing.. Any issues there?
There shouldn't be any issues with the beer, but carving is difficult and rather dangerous. If you do decide to buy some carving knives and/or chisels, be sure to sharpen them. Dull tools are your worst enemy in woodworking.

a quick google search says any tight-grain hardwood other than those containing toxins (this includes cherry) for general cooking utensils.
I've been using cherry utensils for years and a cherry mash paddle. I've never heard of toxins in cherry. I'll have to research that. Do you have a reference?

-Joe

There shouldn't be any issues with the beer, but carving is difficult and rather dangerous. If you do decide to buy some carving knives and/or chisels, be sure to sharpen them. Dull tools are your worst enemy in woodworking.

Aperk,
Check out this kick a** thread. I wouldn't be too worried about the carving if I had the skills to build that...(r8rphan is building it and I'm watching it and drooling).

r8rphan said:
Don't know why I never think to check google..

Osage Orange sounds like some awesome stuff for this...

I would like to find out that manzanita would work.. still looking for info.. There's boatloads of that stuff around here..

I'm from Osage County Oklahoma. The Osage orange is hard stuff. Super hard. The fruit that they produce, looks like a big green orange, has a toxin in it. We used to smash them with baseball bats.

Latest posts

Back