Its the thought that counts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunkRod

Reaction score
I know its supposed to be the thought that counts, but somehow when SWMBO goes and buys me a birthday present with MY money, it just doesn't feel right. I appreciate the sentiment, but there is usually a reason I haven't bought item X (usually because I didn't want to spend the money) and when she goes and gets it as a present using the funds I didn't want to spend...it just seems kinda empty to me. Or worse, something I really had no intention of ever buying and now did by proxy.
For example, birthday today, SWMBO gets almost $200 in gifts ($200 from my account, not hers). While the gifts are ok, nothing there is anything I would've gone out of my way to buy, nor had I planned on suddenly being $200 poorer.
Am I just a prick to think this?

First... Happy Birthday.
Second... Assume positive intent and don't sweat it.
Third... She remembered and she did something for you.

The X-Ray did the same thing - Except it was a Gas Grill for the patio. Her reasoning was that she knew I wanted it, but I was being really frugal, so it wasn't a priority.
She just wanted me to have the things I wanted.

then she went nuts.. but that is another tale for another day. ;)

I would have to assume here she doesn't feel she has enough money to buy you something nice so she uses yours? Otherwise that seems weird to do that. Sounds like she meant well though, otherwise she would have got you nothing maybe? ....and called you a prick?

I feel bad when she buys me something for me I wouldn't buy with my money with hers.

Well, you could always get compensation by getting her to give you $200 worth of sex; just don't let her know she's "paying you back." :D

start an Amazon universal wish list and then she can pick stuff you actually want. She still might spend more than you'd like but at least it is stuff you actually want. That's what me and my wife do and it works for us. Makes gift shopping easy- I xmas shopped last year for her in 15 mins.

Back