don't need the sugar for kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMonkey

Reaction score
first post.

i've searched and found the answer - several times - that's the problem. i'm getting a ton of info on my question, and still not clear on a specific plan.

so, i'll state my question and intentions. if you think i'm headed for a trap please let me know.

i have kegerator, works great. have bought kegs with the skanky fitting on it. now, i've whipped a batch of light ale with a kit that's fermenting now.

i've bought fittings to attach ball fittings to hoses, and i have a corney keg ready to go.

currently, i have a chunk of beer left in keg i plan to transfer my keg beer into a corney using the counter pressure methods i've read about. this keg is rolling at about 8psi co2.

my kegerator fits 2 corneys. so, i'd like to carbonate my homebrew in a corney while enjoying my current beer, but i have one regulator.

my plan for kegging my home brew: siphon into corney keg, put it in fridge which is at 41 degrees f, purge air, then turn gas on to 10 psi for two weeks while drinking my current beer, then back down to 8 and drink both beers.

Question 1: the ingredient kit came with sugar to put in before bottling. do i just skip the sugar all together?

Question 2: will my plan work for carbonating my home brew?

cheers.

1) You can skip the sugar, or you can still use it to carb the keg while drinking the other. Both will give you the same end result.
2) Yes. It'll work great either way.

thanks for replys. good chart too.

i think i'd like to skip the sugar if i can. one of my goals is to get my wife on board with the homebrew program, and the less cloudyness the better. that's sort of why i'm fitting the kegerator to work with corneys. everything seems to go back to keeping my wife happy.

the primed keg won't be cloudy though... yeast will drop out quickly in the fridge, and the first pour (or first pour after each time you move/shake/disturb it) will get rid of all the gunk near the tube, and it will pour nice and clear; promise

Back