Wheat extract + Rose hips + Citra hops + Hoegaarden yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmoore714

Reaction score
I recently read an article about using Citra hops in a wheat beer. Also saw something about brewing with rose hips. AND I've been thinking about trying (again) to brew with yeast harvested from Hoegaarden bottles. Rather than try these individually... I figured I would lump them all into one experimental batch. Here's what I have so far. Let me know what you think.

"Flower Gaarden" Wheat
.5lbs pale wheat (steeped)
.5lbs flaked wheat (steeped)
.5lbs belgian aromatic (steeped)

3lbs Wheat DME (60min)
3lbs Pilsen Light DME (60min)

.5oz Citra (30min)
1oz Rose Hips (10min)
1oz Coriander (10min)
.5oz Citra (10min)

• I hope to harvest yeast from at least six 12oz bottles of Hoegaarden. Then step that up to a 2liter starter on a stir plate.
  • Depending on the intensity of the flavor from the rose hips, I may add another ounce to the secondary.
  • Boil times for the Citra are meant to get the full flavor of the hops, but to keep the IBUs at 30 or less. I also dont want to overdo it on the citra and cover up the flavor of the rose hips
  • Im shooting for an ABV around 5%. I may have to add some corn sugar or light DME to get there... but I dont want to do anything that might mask or conflict with the other flavors.

I have the AHS honey rose hip ale on draft. It used 2 oz of dried crushed rose hips added at the last 10 minutes. The definitely added a tartness. I would use less next time. My point is that one oz might be good.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out your thread on that recipe and keep that in mind. I've read that Citra hops contribute a level of fruity sweetness to a beer (not sure how hops = sweet, but thats what Ive read). Anyway... maybe that will help balance out the tartness from the rosehips.

This beer has been in the fermenter for almost 3 weeks now. Krausen JUST fell a few days ago. I think I underpitched (stepped the dregs of 6 hoegaarden up to a 1liter starter) so it took a while to really get going.

I tested last night and the sample tasted sweet, but really hoppy and a little astringent. Almost piney. Im hoping some of that settles out in secondary.

If anyone was curious... this beer was an EPIC failure. Everyone in our local brew club tried it. Their notes compared it to everything from dish soap to pinesol to insect repellant.

We still have about 3 gallons of it in a keg at a friend's house. Might marinate some chicken in it, when the weather warms up enough for a cookout. Otherwise I think its just a good example to have on hand, for "what not to do to a beer"

Back