Propagation Failure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbushwhacker

Reaction score
Where do I go from here? Have used a small cake saved and made a starter using a qt. of water and 1/2 cup of DME, Using a growler and airlock I got fermentation but not a lot of action. I didn't feel it propagated well enough,So I then checked the FG from the starter and it was 1.010 I was thinking should I decant and make another starter and add more cake yeast? As I said the cake was a small sample, less than a cup.

it sounds like everything is working as it should be. if fermentation is done and you have more yeast than you started with then that's a good thing. you could decant and make more yeast if you want.

Thanks for responding, I decanted and made up another starter. I also added the rest of the yeast cake that was left (less than a cup) fermentation started within an hour. I also think it will be alright. Just do not want to put in all the effort and not get fermentation. This is all new to me, not sure if it is a money savings, if so it is small. Maybe a quality improvement

Back