Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirk

Reaction score
Exactly one month I brewed a dubbel, all grain, pretty standard one with 1 pound of home made candy sugar, initial gravity 1.064, 5 gallons batch.

I re used yeast from a previous batch(US-05), but I think I probably underpitched(first time I used slurry)... well the thing is that after 5 days the kraussen dropped and fermentation stopped, I did a gravity test and it was 1.024 after three days I did another one, again 1.024... I gave it a good swirl and moved it to a warmer place. After that I waited 1 week, and again 1.024... at this point I bottled another batch, so I had a healthy yeast cake in my other fermenter so I dumped my stuck beer on it, and waited a week. Nothing, still is at 1.024.

:( what do you recommend me, should i just bottle it? discard it? any other method I should try?

I suspect you have a high quantity of unfermentables in your beer. Maybe the mash temp was too high. Maybe there was a problem with the "homemade candi sugar". You have done all you can do to get the gravity down. You warmed it up, swirled it, and even "re-pitched" by racking onto a new yeast cake. If it is still 1.024, then that is probably as low as it is gonna go.

If it were me, I would bottle it. 1.024 is higher than ideal, but I don't think it is a deal-breaker based on your information. I would be very surprised if you got bottle bombs, considering the efforts you have made to drop the gravity with no results.

Probably the only other thing I might try is to boil about 1/2 pound of candi sugar (or cane sugar) in a few cups of water. Cool it to room temperature and add to the fermenter. This will hopefully "kick-start" the yeast into activity again. They may (or may not) drop the gravity a few more points after they eat the simple sugar. I suspect that this will yield limited results, but it may be worth trying.

The expected FG at 1.064 OG and 75% attenuation would be 1.016, and 1.024 isn't THAT far off from 1.016. Either way, you wouldn't expect bottle bombs at that FG, you are just going to have a malty Dubbel. I'd go ahead and bottle.

You dumped it onto another yeast cake? Wouldn't that oxygenate it up pretty well? Hopefully you don't have cardboard after bottling

Back