Hop additions late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookem15

Reaction score
Am going to be doing an amber ale and I am looking to do late additions to avoid being to high on the bittering. I want about 25 ibu's and lots of flavor and aroma, any suggestions? I have Amarillo, cascade, northern brewer, and willamette hops already available. Please any suggestions?

Tom

What do you see the final product looking like? Do you want to offset the caramel from the amber with a citrusy hoppiness from the amarillo and cascade? Or a more subtle, woody and floral presence from the NB and willamette?

I would either group it one of three ways:

Amarillo/Cascade - Citrusy deliciousness
Northern Brewer/Cascade - California Commonish combo
NB / Willamette - more floral notes, smoother, delicate

my 2c. Good luck! What's the grist look like?

I am looking at 10 lbs 2 row 2 lbs c60 and 1 lb c20 somewhere in there. I like the thought of Amarillo and cascades as a combo. I am not looking for the flavor and aroma to be a punch in the face I would just like a good blend of malty with more flavor on the hops.

I am looking at 10 lbs 2 row 2 lbs c60 and 1 lb c20 somewhere in there. I like the thought of Amarillo and cascades as a combo. I am not looking for the flavor and aroma to be a punch in the face I would just like a good blend of malty with more flavor on the hops.

If you don't mind my saying, if that's what your looking for in the final, try
8# 2-row
2# Munich
1# C-60
3/4# C-20
I think that would tone down the malty but be a solid backbone to the hops flavor.

Do you have any Magnum? that would be a good clean bittering hop to allow you to put a punch in the 10-20 minute boil range without overdoing the flavor additions. If you don't have it, then add ~25% of your flavor additions as First Wort Hops, and that will give you the IBU's with some extra non-harsh bitterness with added flavor.

Back