Just made the switch to 5 Gallon...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakiexcharles

Reaction score
Pretty excited... I've done 5 batches of Mr Beer..
read all over this forum, listened to countless Basic Brewing podcasts..
and sampled a huge majority of the Craft Breweries down here in San Diego.

I will say, as said in the massive MR Beer thread, It was a great intro.. and I still plan to use it just to change it up.

anyway, I went into my LHBS and we went about piecing my kit together.. After that was done, she gave me a recipe book and we talked about different beers and brewing. I decided to try an Extract/Specialty Grain Imperial Stout for my first brew. Can't wait to get deeper into the community, and enjoy some quality brews.

Welcome! I used to live in San Diego (O.B.), but have since moved to Florida. I just bottled an Ale Smith Speedway Stout clone since I can't get it in Florida. Get out there and sample everything SD has to offer you. When you find what you like, come here and get the recipe!

Enjoy!

I love it here! Just in 2012 we've had 16 new breweries open.. taking the total up to... 61 I think. I live in North County..about a mile from Stone Brewery and about 10 from Iron Fist.... I'm way to spoiled.

Mr Beer is the "gateway" drug! That's how I started also, it's a great feeling when you make your first 5 gallon batch. The Stout was a good choice with St. Patty's day coming up. Good luck!

It really is cool, I moved down here about a year ago.. and being in North County.. I can visit the downtown city life, and then retreat to Suburbia after. Feels good :p so here's the recipe we put together..

6.6 lb Northwestern Amber extraxt
3.3 lb Muntons Light extract
1lb crystal malt, 60* Lovibond
.25lb roasted non-malted black barley
.25lb black patent malt

2 oz Nugget hops (called for Eroica but not in stock) for 60 minutes
0.5oz Cascade hops for 10 minutes

and White Labs WLP001 (called for Wyeast 1084 but not in stock)

She also gave me a pack of Brewcraft Whirlfloc T "25's" and said to throw a tablet in, 15 minutes 'till flameout. Not familiar with them at all... but will definitely listen to the pro.

well that felt successful.. I thank Mr Beer for educating me in the steps prior to trying a larger batch. Everything made sense and worked well. random pics :') like a baby's first steps.

IMAG1172_zpsfc1e3d31.jpg

IMAG1173_zps5e5a7110.jpg

IMAG1174_zpsa2d503e9.jpg

IMAG1175_zpsa8309eba.jpg

IMAG1177_zps38de66b0.jpg

IMAG1180_zps2d963361.jpg

Latest posts

Back