Coopers drops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaHomeBrew

Reaction score
Have only used them once but did not like them all that much. Anyone know of a better alternative? I only wanna bottle about 12 bottles. I'll be Kegging the rest. Thanks.

I love coopers drops. Anytime I bottle I use them. Never had a single problem with them. In fact, the only time I've had a bottling carb issue was when I used priming sugar instead of cooper's drops.

I can't understand why you'd have carbonation problems with bulk priming? Use a priming calculator to style,weigh it out on a small scale,add to 1-2C of boiled water,mix with beer in bottling bucket.
But for only a 12 pack or so,just use 1 Cooper's carb drop per 12oz bottle & you're good. But adding priming sugar to each bottle is guessing at best. bulk priming is better if you're doing a full volume of beer.

GreenDragon said:
I love coopers drops. Anytime I bottle I use them. Never had a single problem with them. In fact, the only time I've had a bottling carb issue was when I used priming sugar instead of cooper's drops.

My beer seemed under carbed when I uses them in the coopers bottles 2 per bottle. Still a little flat after a few months?

I'll be the opposing opinion. My last two batches using Coopers drops were foamy volcanoes (stored at 68F). I've since used those same bottles for other brews with no problems. I was bottling using two different sizes of bottles (16 & 20 oz.), one time. I guess-timated how much beer I had to bottle, calculated how many drops I'd have to use and dissolved them in two cups of water to batch prime. That turned out okay, maybe you can do the same on a smaller scale. One drop per "stubbie" (12 US oz.), 12 drops to 1/2 to 1 cup of water, boil, cool and prime.
I'm hoping to be heading to Brewtopia in Port Jeff, not too far from here, to give the Coopers kits another chance. Munton's also has carb tabs (?). I'm sure someone else will pipe in with some software that will be more accurate than my WAG.

ronclark said:
I've done the same for 8 completed batches and have never had this issue. Are you storing them in too low of a temperature by any chance?

I thought I was, so I let them sit, a few weeks later still not much of a difference.

I thought I was, so I let them sit, a few weeks later still not much of a difference.
Hmmm. I have no clue why that would be unless the yeast has simply been unable to continue its job and eat the tabs to carbonate. I've done ales, IPAs, bitters, and stouts with liquid and dry yeasts with no carbonation issues. The tabs are just sugar so there shouldn't be an issue with them being bad that I am aware of.

Have you had issues with other priming agents or just the Coopers tabs? Muntons makes smaller carbonation tabs.

The cooper's ones are like cough drops,hence referred to as drops. The Munton's look like pills,& are called tabs. Less confusion that way.
Anyway,I'm sure the problem you had with the Cooper's PET bottles is that you didn't get the lids tight enough. That's their only downfall. Once you get drops in all the bottles,fill,& screw the caps on,you have to go back & tighten them all at least another half turn. They must be gorilla tight,or the carbonation leaks out. Trust me,I still have 45 of them for emergency back ups. They must be very tight or they WILL leak.

Back