where to culture LACTO BUGS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inda_bebe

Reaction score
Im trying to culture LACTO BUGS for my own house strain. Mainly thinking of using it for sour mashing a Berliner. I have a mixed culture w/ LACTO but im sure it has a **** load of PEDIO and BRETT, too.

Anyone have a good list of bottles where i can find some good bugs for LACTO?

Cascade Brewing only uses Lacto, and I have had great success culturing theirs and using it in my sours. You can order beers directly online; they ship to most states.

Lacto lives on the outside of the grains, you can create some starter wort and toss a handful of uncrushed pilsner malt in there and keep it warm, ~100f. This is similar to what youre doing with the sour mash though.

Ive done it before and it works well, but youre likely culturing more then just the lacto. If you want a pure lacto culture why not buy one from White Labs or Wyeast?

I've had good Berliner Weisse results with the White Labs Lacto. I pitched it for 7 days @ 85-95 Degrees F, then crashed the wort down to 68 and pitched US05. It might be a little too sour for the style, but I like it!

The Cascade Brewing Lacto is a monster though. It wouldn't surprise me if it created a more interesting and intense sour flavor than the WL or Wyeast strains.

I used dregs from cascade and made a sour from it and it was warhead candy range in a few months. It was a monster

I haven't tried this, but I've read that Fantome dregs can be a good source for lacto.

I haven't tried this, but I've read that Fantome dregs can be a good source for lacto.

I haven't had all of the Fantome beers, but the ones I have had are much more in the Farmhouse/Saison with Brettanomyces category. I could be wrong, but I've never had one with a lot of lactic acid. Curious about where you read more information about Fantome's culture?

I haven't had all of the Fantome beers, but the ones I have had are much more in the Farmhouse/Saison with Brettanomyces category. I could be wrong, but I've never had one with a lot of lactic acid. Curious about where you read more information about Fantome's culture?

I've been reading through old threads on the BBB homebrew board (great resource for anyone interested in wild brews), and it comes up a few times there: e.g. in these threads (a) (b) (c). You'll fine more if you search. I know Al B isolated a brett from Fantome (part of ECY3), but I don't know if they ever settled whether it was aggressive lacto or pedio or what responsible for the sourness.

Latest posts

Back